Saturday, April 19, 2008

I feel accomplished!

First of all... I talked to Barry this morning! He sounds exhausted and he has caught a bad case of homesick. He can tell you the exact number of days they have been there, how many till they hope to come home, etc. If he doesn't get leave, we're hoping that they will start packing up shop in August.. to be back stateside in early September and back home by late September. Anyway, he says thanks in advance for any care packages. I think he enjoys opening them more than the stuff inside!

Now for my feeling of accomplishment. I just got home from our local Race For The Cure. When all was said and done, I logged a little more than 5 miles and I didn't even break a real sweat. I would have been huffing and puffing this time last year, hence the sense of accomplishment. I'm so excited to start noticing how my weight loss is having an effect on more than just my appearance.

The organizers are thinking that we (our local race) will have the first $million dollar event since starting! Each year it has grown, and this year they expected to reach 1 million dollars from Fayetteville, Arkansas. Amazing, isn't it! It was very humbling to see the sea of pink during the survivors parade. Many women of all races, sizes, backgrounds, educations and ages... all walking together with pride on their faces. It was amazing to be amongst such strong women.

I am lucky that I have not had to face breast cancer, nor has any closer family members. However, that doesn't mean I can just sit back and relax. I have friends that face this battle, and I want to show my support.

So, I'll step off of my pretty pink soapbox... and smile because not only did I support a GREAT cause today, I also unearthed a little piece of the old, non-fat version of Vanessa. I knew she was in there... screaming to get out!

Breast Cancer Ribbon

4 comments:

Flying Monkeys said...

Way to go on the walk! You should feel accomplished for the many things you do.
My aunt is a survivor, they caught it by chance. Her insurance was running out and she went in for one last exam before it ran out. I had a friend in college who found hers the same way. Her medicaid was running out, she almost didn't make the appointment.
If he's stateside the beginning of Sept will you see him then or do you have to wait? I hope he gets his leave.

Adrianne said...

I hope Barry gets his leave! I'm sorry he's feeling homesick :( I can't even imagine.

Great job on the walk! I'll bet you're looking great!

Thoughtful said...

Glad to hear you did such a great job on your walk and for such a worthy cause as well!

I hope that Barry gets to come home soon!

Me said...

Very cool!