Monday, September 22, 2008

Medicine companies should be ashamed.

Seriously. I am amazed at the cost of medicines with and without insurance. It is insane. Right now, thank the heavens, we have insurance through Barry's military deployment. The fertility medicine that I need to induce ovulation is $9 a vial.... I use three vials per month.... that sounds like a great price, right?? Yes, it is... and I have this coverage until May. When this coverage runs out, the same medicine, that I pay $9 bucks for currently, will cost me $1069.

WTF?? Why should a highly insured person be charged $1060 extra dollars because their current plan doesn't cover the meds? I mean, I pay out the ass for insurance very month. Right now, we have double coverage because of the deployment. I could have chosen to drop our normal insurance, but because coverages are so different, I decided to keep both. Maybe instead of paying the premium for the second insurance, I should have been saving the money to pay for the medicine that won't be covered.

I'm sorry, but the idea that a vial of medicine, LITERALLY, smaller than an Avon perfume sample, should EVER cost the consumer over a thousand bucks, is asinine.

Why can't my kids be free like Crack-Whore Christie from the streets???

Talk about LIQUID GOLD. I am stockpiling, so if I ever get knocked up... I will make someone VERY happy:)

5 comments:

Plant Girl said...

The cost of medicine is INSANE.

When I was pg w/ Kate I had hyperemesis and needed zofran through my entire pregnancy. Even with good prescription coverage, I paid $100 for 30 pills (what they deemed a 30-day supply, but in reality could last as little as 10 days). I maxed out my prescription coverage ($4K or something similar) the weekend before I went into labor.

Thank GOD she came early or I could have been in the hospital for dehydration.

My mom's prescription coverage SUCKS and she's on a cocktail of meds for her fibromyalgia. She pays something like $300/month for necessary meds. I hope everyday that she doesn't lose her job and her medical coverage. As crappy as it is, it's still cheaper than paying 100% out of pocket.

Anonymous said...

SMOOOCH!

Me said...

One of the books I was reading recently said that the profit margin on fertility drugs is around 17,000%. That's unholy if you as me!

Sock Monkey said...

Yes, the costs leaves you having the following converstaions with your husband (well, just as soon as Barry gets home)

Me: How much does Heroin cost?
DH: (peeks around corner) Huh, what?
Me: Heroin, how much would like $100 worth of Heroin be?
DH: How would I know?
Me: I don't know-- you inject heroin, right?
DH: Is that heroin in that pen?
Me: Nope. I bet it costs more.
DH: Okay. So, next time you're going to try Heroin instead?

Yes. This conversation is now normal.

IF and it's related costs all suck.

Kara said...

I know what you mean. Med costs in general are way too expensive.

I think I'll becoma crack-head. That will solve all of my TTC problems...(and maybe even some money)